Tuesday 15 February 2011

Summary

  I remember that in the beginning of this project, we wrote an article about the expectations of the project. And now, almost finishing the entire project, I think it is time to talk about the regrets and the harvest during the project.
  My original aims taking part in this project are to broaden horizons and improve my English. To some extent, the aims have reached. I lived in York and went to Haworth, Edinburgh, London, Oxford, Cambridge and Whitby, I saw different parts of the UK meanwhile I experienced different life styles in UK. Among all the cities, York is my best love because it is an old but convenient, beautiful place to live in. In the aspect of improving English, because of my limited vocabulary, it is hard to understand all the words people said especially in academic communication, and it is also difficult to express myself well when shopping. However, during these days, I dare to express myself in English. Towards me, it is a great progress.
  And during these days studying in the University of York, I strongly feel some differences between the UK and China.
  First, the way of learning: The way of learning here and the way of learning in the Zhejiang University are quite different. Maybe because I study science in the university, I have lectures and experiments and seldom have debates or discussions. So I am not accustomed to the way of learning and I still do not know how to actively participate in the discussions and always choose to remain silent. I know that is bad, but it is hard to totally change the learning habit in only 29 days. The only thing I can do is to try my best to express my own opinions during the discussion.
  Secondly, the living styles of young people: Because there is no children in the host family, I cannot know their living styles exactly. Having heard some friends talked about this aspect, I know both the young people and their parents here are more open than those in China. For instance, I've never been to a pub in China and my parents will not allow me to go such places, but young people go to pubs or clubs may be quite normal.
  Last but not the least, the food: the difference is quite large between the Chinese food and the English food. I like to eat different things, so maybe I do more concerned about the difference in food. In the UK, the main food is potatoes, while in China it is rice and wheat. People in China are accustomed to drink tea or just hot water, but here people usually like to drink coffee and other hot drinks. I also have some doubts in the price of milk. In the stores here, milk is cheaper than a bottle of water, while in China, milk is more expensive than water. Yesterday, I asked this question to the host father, he said he didn’t know why either and felt strange and silly ~ Haha~ However, I still quite like the food here, especially juice, yogurt and chocolate.
  In general, I achieve a lot through this project. I will come back China soon and I will never forget these days. How quick the days are and How beautiful the memories are!
  Finally, I must say “Thank you” to Dawn, a lot of thanks to my dear teacher who is humorous and loves to eat chocolate ~ Thank you for the teaching during this month. And I also admit that the 90% dark chocolate doesn’t taste good, how terrible is that I have 99% one!

No comments:

Post a Comment