Wednesday 16 February 2011

Cultural differences about women and clothing

  I have wrote some cultual differences between China and UK like food, the ways of learning and nightlife in last blog. It is a coincidence that in class we talked about the cultual differences today and I remember that I forgot to say something about women and clothing.
  I am 160cm high, but I realise that women here are usually much higher than me. but it is not the most strange thing. The things that make me feel most confuse is that people here especially women always wear a little clothing.I still remember that on our way to Oxford by bus, a lot of young people who maybe just go out of the clubs or pubs got on the bus on one stop.The women all wore a little, some just wore skirt! How surprised it was! It was a cold winner night! Maybe they just went out of the clubs or pubs and felt excited and no cold, but they also didn't take some coats with them! I am very afraid of cold and must wear a lot in the winter. In China, many of my friends also wear a lot and the skirt I saw they wearing is which we wear in summer!
  Besides the clothing, women here are more open. It is one difference that I mentioned many times that women and girls here always go to the pubs and drink wine.It is quite normal here. My host father once asked Chopour and me that weather we drink wine in China, we all answered 'No'.He said that were good girls and also told us that it is normal here for women and girls. However, in China, just in my mind, women or girls who always go to the pubs or clubs may be considered as bad women or girls. Beacuse of this reason, my parents never allow me to go to the pubs and clubs and they always tell me that such places are dangerous and bad~ How differnt opinions they are!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jean,

    I'm not sure if you will read this, but I hope that you do. Yes I'm sure that you did see a lot of differences between young women in the UK and China, but pubs and clubs are not really dangerous places, especially if you go with a group of friends!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete